So You Wanna Clean Your Closet?





Twice a year I clean out my closet of everything I haven't worn in the past year and don't see myself wearing in the year to come. And if you don't really plan out how your gonna go about this, it can be a mess. So here are some steps that I do to make sure I get everything cleared out and don't look like a chicken running around with its head cut off in the process.

Step 1: Music. Not only does it help to pass the time but it also keeps me calm so I don't get overwhelmed (aka I have a lot of clothes).

Step 2: Organize. I like to start with tops, then shorts and skirts, pants, jackets and cardigans, dresses, etc.

Step 3: Try it on. If your not sure about a piece of clothing, don't sit there staring at it for 30 minutes, try it on! Then, stand in front of the mirror and try to picture it in your current style.

Step 4: Probably the most important step; be brutal. Don't make excuses for old clothing items you haven't worn in the past 2 years. Im probably the worst when it comes to this. You've only worn it twice? Once? Haven't even taken the tags off since you got it? Toss it.

Step 5: An equally important step. Be thorough. So you've gone through all your clothes, do your shoes also. Jewelry as well. And don't forget accessories (belts, hats, scarves).

Step 6: The hardest step; don't go shopping for at least a week - 2 weeks. Sounds weird I know, but if your anything like me, the minute you set foot in a store you feel the need to buy any and everything you see because you "cleaned out your closet and you don't have anything to wear". Resist the urge and live with your newly refurbished wardrobe for a little while and decide what key pieces you would like to add.


With these steps you've got a recipe for success.
Donate them. Sell them. Give them to friends and family. But whatever you do, don't put it back in your wardrobe!



xx, MJ.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates

Popular Posts